This email arrived this morning:
"Dear Sister, this is a reminder to invite you to our meeting for Pastors' Wives on Saturday 29th October, 7-9pm at *****. If you are a Pastor, please would you kindly pass this onto your wife. For the purposes of catering, it would be helpful to have a rough idea of numbers, therefore, please reply to this e-mail to let us know if you are planning on coming along."
- I am not a pastor's wife
- I am a pastor but I don't have a wife
- If I was a pastor with a wife, I'd be struck off
- If I was a pastor who wanted a wife, I'd be viewed with suspicion
- I am a pastor who has no desire for a wife or a husband; I like being single thanks all the same
It annoys me because it assumes
- All pastors are male
- All male pastors have wives
Neither of these is true.
I couldn't attend anyway because I will already be at Baptist Assembly (Scotland) - far more my kind of thing!
I am glad that for those who want it, there are pastors' wives events (NB this is not, so far as I can tell, a Baptist event), I'm glad there are pastors' spice events and networks but this 'sister' is not about to attend any of them.
I ranted about this last year, as I recall, and nothing has changed, so rant again I will!